November 25, 2019
First and foremost, let’s clear up the definition of a buckeye for those of you who don’t know. No, we are not referring to the eyes of a buck. No, we are not referring to Ohio State. A buckeye is a type of candy traditionally made with peanut butter and chocolate. The name comes from the nuts that sprout from the Ohio buckeye tree, as the finished product looks very similar.
Try this keto-friendly recipe below and see for yourself!
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup Best Protein™ in Vanilla Swirl
- 1/8 cup ground almonds
- 1-3 tsp of almond milk (start with 1 tsp)
- 1/8 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until a you get a nice, thick, Play-Doh consistency that you can roll into balls. If the dough is too dry, gradually add more milk. If the dough is too sticky, add more ground almonds.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into 10 balls so they resemble truffles. Place them on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
- Let the truffles cool in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips over low heat.
- Using a small spoon or toothpicks, dunk the truffles into the melted chocolate. Leave a small circle uncoated. That’s the “eye” of the buckeye.
- Place the truffles back on the lined cookie tray, eyes up.
- Stick them in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
Macros (per buckeye):
Following a keto diet? Thanks to the low-sugar (and therefore low-carb) macros of this buckeye recipe, plus the 4g of fat, this is a treat you can enjoy guilt free! For less protein and more essential fats, try substituting our Vanilla Latte Keto Bomb™ for the Best Protein™!
More On The Blog
November 15, 2019